Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Juicing now a part of my diet

Last Friday I received my new masticating juicer, an Omega 8003. There are other recommended juicers out there which are similar. I happened to settle on this one and I really like how easy it is to clean and how quiet it is.. big pluses for using a juicer.

The deal with a masticating juicer vs one that whirs things to death is that it literally squeezes the juice out of things. A blender/food processor type of juicer leaves a lot of the juice in the pulp so you have to juice a lot more stuff to get the juice you should. The whirring of things also heats the enzymes just enough to damage them and the physical whirring also may damage the enzymes.

With a juicer, you can get the nutrients of a lot more vegetables and fruits than you would if you tried to eat them with the pulp. The pulp has value for fiber content, but by squeezing the nutrients out you can get a powerhouse glass of nutrients and enzymes that you can't buy at any store. The juicer allows me to increase the amount of raw foods I consume without feeling like a rabbit eating only salads - although I do try to eat a good sized salad every day.

No comments: