Saturday, October 21, 2006

TV is Ruining Your Life

A great article here on how you can actually be brave enough to give up TV. I have.

I actually stopped watching TV well before my early July breast cancer diagnosis and I don't miss it. There are times when in social gatherings people say "Hey did you see that commercial on.. ?" or they discuss a new TV series of which I know nothing. But guess what.. there are lots of other interesting things to talk about than "what's on TV"

In fact a good 98% of my life is commercial free. The only time I see advertising is the few banner ads on web sites (I use Firefox and block pop-ups and many banner ads), or in a magazine or billboard. I have not heard a SINGLE political ad for the upcoming election which makes my heart sing! I have Sirius Satellite Radio for my music and mostly listen to the "Spa" channel which is continuous New Age relaxing music and wonderfully peaceful background music.

If I want to buy something, I seek it in Google or Froogle and I research it on the Internet. I don't need advertisers to SUGGEST a product I might need. I can come up with those ideas all by myself and then I evaluate the choices. This is the way it should be. We are simply BOMBARDED with buy this buy that junk in our world and it should be considered a form of pollution.. Mind pollution...

Furthermore, most of the advertising suggests you aren't good enough the way you are unless you buy their product. They constantly promote perfect people with perfect teeth, perfect hair, perfect skin.. you can have this too if only you buy our product. Bullshit. You want to have a perfect body, stop filling it with chemicals and processed food and start eating what we were intended to eat, which is fresh, natural, live foods.. and you don't find them in a can.

I walk my dogs in the early evening darkness and see almost every household with a TV glowing in the living room... rarely do I walk by a house where people are home and the TV is not on. This is a fundamental problem in our society. TV teaches you to be apathetic, lazy and in need of external stimulation. And then there are the constant subliminal messages about how you should live your life.

Don't even get me started on the freaking DRUG ads that are promoted like some kind of personal care product that will make your life wonderful. The pharmaceutical companies are really just legitimate DRUG PUSHERS. They use the same tactics to get people hooked as the corner drug dealer but they have a whole lot more money and government permission to assault the public with their advertising.

Advertising by drug companies should never have been allowed. It cuts the Doctor out of the loop and basically makes him a highly paid pharmacist. Patients come in and ask for Drug X that they saw on TV. This is not the way it should be. It is ASS BACKWARDS. The Doctor needs to be the expert on the drug to prescribe. However, I think even with that system, our entire healthcare system approach is terribly flawed in that even Doctors believe there is drug to fix nearly every problem of the human race.

No comments: