Wednesday, October 18, 2006

MRI results

MRI is done and I have reviewed the various slices. Nothing dramatic to report except to say it has not grown and it does appear that the edges are less "spiculated" in medical terminology. On further investigation to try to figure out exactly what less spiculation means, I discovered that MRI really might not be the ideal way for me to monitor this breast lump because even a benign lesion can take up contrast dye and appear malignant. I found a very detailed article on the value of MRI with breast lumps and it turns out that they are not quite as accurate as I originally thought. MRI has value but perhaps it will not give me the information I need to monitor this.

Here is a quote from a study that I found on Breast MRI accuracy:

Contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the breast is known to reveal breast cancer with higher sensitivity than mammography alone. The specificity is, however, compromised by the observation that several benign masses take up contrast agent in addition to malignant lesions.

This means that inside that mass could be millions of dead and dying cancer cells and necrotic tumor tissue but it would still appear the same on the MRI. Sigh. Because of this I won't be getting another MRI for at least 6 months since I don't expect the size to diminish in less time than that.


SO.. I have made an appointment finally for a breast thermography test at a local facility - and there weren't many places who have this test in my area suprisingly. Not sure if the test shows no heat pattern, what that might mean, but in any case I will get the test now and check back in a month or two and see if any changes.

Here are two sample images from my MRI today compared to my prior one in July at the same facility:


October 18, 2006


July 5, 2006

The dilemma is - now that I know I have this lump and I'm not going to remove it surgically, how do I monitor it and whether it has metastisized? I suppose I can use the AMAS blood test and perhaps find another cancer marker blood test to use as a monitor. But it seems that it will be difficult to prove that what I am doing is working until months go by and I haven't gotten sick or there isn't some downward spiral in my health. I'd love to find a more definite way to monitor this and a PEM scan is just too risky to do as often as I'd like with the radiation exposure.

Breast lumps are just not as simple as say.. cholesterol level. That is much easier to track. What I need to find is a test that measures the cancer marker for this tumor so I can say today it is a particular number and then see if next month it is less.

If I find an optimal way to monitor this lump, then it will have implications for all women even those without known breast lumps. So stay tuned...

Here is a link with some ideas for other tests I plan to try for monitoring things:

http://www.cancure.org/tests_to_detect_cancer.htm

No comments: